Pages

Monday, February 22, 2010

Oscars 2009: Best Picture

It's official. I've succeeded.
For the first time ever, I have seen all of the Best Picture nominees before Oscar night. For a cinephile like me, living in such a secluded corner of the nation, this is a monumental occasion. I feel so accomplished, not to mention like a real Oscar expert now. I can pass judgement legitimately, without having to retract myself later. And for the second year in a row, I will see the Best Picture winner before Oscar night. Score!
Anyway, here's my personal rankings for Best Picture if I were voting.
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Up in the Air
3. An Education
4. Up
5. Avatar
6. District 9
7. The Hurt Locker
8. Precious
9. A Serious Man
10. The Blind Side
Don't let the rankings fool you; I truly loved the top 8 (A Serious Man is still ambivalent to me, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot accept the oversimplification of The Blind Side). In retrospect, I wonder if I should move The Hurt Locker up more, but I can't find a film above it that I like less. Overall it was just a fantastic year, and most of these are really amazing choices. I wouldn't mind if any of the top 8 won; The Blind Side would irritate me, while A Serious Man would just confuse me more.

No comments: