Pages

Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Directors: Postscript

I realized just now that I've been ranking my preferences in each Oscar category, just like I would if I were a voter in the Academy (oh how I wish I was), but I have not done so for the directors. I wrote a piece on them, praised their merits, but didn't think to rank them. This will be rectified now with the presentation of my ballot:
BEST DIRECTOR
  1. Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
  2. James Cameron, Avatar
  3. Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds
  4. Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
  5. Lee Daniels, Precious
In the coming week, since it is Oscar Week (!), I'm hoping I can start posting my ballots for the other categories. I haven't seen every single nominated movie, and I'm going to have to rely on some unconventional methods to make my judgments (like stills from the movie, trailers, etc.). I will try this week to see all of the Foreign Language films, as well as the shorts, but what doesn't get seen in time just doesn't get seen in time. In that case, I will make amendments when I see them, so lookout for that throughout the year.
As an update, in the major categories I'm three films away from seeing every nominee: Invictus (Morgan Freeman, Actor and Matt Damon, Supporting Actor), Nine (Penelope Cruz, Supporting Actress), and In the Loop (Adapted Screenplay). Wish me luck!

No comments: