Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Is Wicked Finally Becoming a Movie?

New York Magazine's Vulture is reporting that, in addition to six other Oz-themed projects, Broadway's hit show Wicked is finally on track to become a film. Though no details are known yet as to who will assume the roles made famous by Kristen Chenowith and Idina Menzel, J.J. Abrams, Ryan Murphy and Rob Marshall are all in contention to direct the film.
(from left) Kristen Chenoweth and Idina Menzel
Now, I can see Murphy and Marshall doing well with this material, but Abrams? Ehhh, he doesn't really strike me as the right choice for a film like this. So why not replace his name with Adam Shankman's? He's got Hairspray under his belt, and could certainly help this fun, frothy musical transition smoothly from stage to screen.
I've actually seen Wicked on Broadway, though certainly not with the original cast *tear.* During my senior year of high school, I went with my school's chorus to New York to perform in Carnegie Hall. While there, we saw two Broadway shows, the first of which was Wicked (the second was the far-superior Rent, which at the time was three months from closing). I enjoyed the show; it was fun, with plenty of great performances and beautiful songs. However, I also felt that it was a bit simple, with more complicated subplots introduced and then dropped. But it was still a good time, and I'm personally looking forward to seeing how the movie develops.
Have you seen Wicked? Are you excited about the movie too, or is it one Oz project too much (yes, I do believe there are way too many right now)? Discuss.

No comments: