Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Somewhere's Venice Victory

By now you've probably heard that Sofia Coppola's new film, Somewhere, claimed the Golden Lion at this year's Venice Film Festival. And for some reason I'm one of the few who aren't surprised. Coppola's films can be divisive among critics, sure, but among her peers (and the jury is made of filmmakers) she's very well-respected. I'm personally excited about the film (opening December 22...so far away....), so I'm glad to know that the buzz is good.
Stephen Dorff, Sofia Coppola, and Elle Fanning for Somewhere
Also, about Portman's non-win: it is a competition, and nothing's ever 100% guaranteed. It IS an international film festival; therefore, many of the films present aren't really in Oscar contention. Her awards chances here won't be dampened by this, especially since there are plenty of people hailing her as the frontrunner. I can't wait until Black Swan opens so I can see it myself.
Natalie Portman
PS I'm sorry that I don't have too much else to say. I've been working all day, which means I haven't had time to watch anything or keep up with the various going-ons in cinema. So yeah, sorry.

No comments: