Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

24 @ 24: Postmortem

I'm sorry to say that 24 @ 24, my attempt to watch and write about all eight seasons of 24, is no more. Of course, you're forgiven if you had forgotten that I was even doing the series. I forgot about it, and it's been over a month since I last watched an episode.


So why quit? For one, I just don't think I'm going to have time to get it done in a timely manner. But moreover, I think I just have to admit that the series defeated me. The whole reason I began watching the show was because of its status as one of the important series of the '00s, and I wanted to see how it changed a part of the television landscape. The truth is that it was never a show that really appealed to me to begin with, at least as far as the basic premise goes. Jack Bauer doesn't engage me, and even though there were palpable stakes, they never felt like they really mattered all that much in the episodes that I saw. Outside of the zeitgeist moment it held in the decade, coming as a (fortuitous) direct response to the national conversation and fear of terrorism, I just don't see the series itself as particularly great.

Maybe one day I'll try again, but I doubt it. It just isn't my cup of tea.

No comments: